Sunday, 20 March 2011

Racing with Integrity

This morning I competed in my third triathlon, a sprint distance at Maraetai Beach, part of the Panasonic People's Triathlon Series. I don't want to make this blog another training and racing blog; I enjoy reading such blogs, but feel I have nothing new to offer on that front so will try to include only the more interesting/important events. If you would like to read my report on the race, you can view it here. What I'm going to discuss is the drafting that goes on in these events.

For the uninitiated, let me cover the basics of drafting in triathlons. The majority of amateur triathlons, and as far as I know all long-course triathlons (i.e. Ironman and Half-Ironman) are non-drafting events, meaning you aren't allowed to draft other cyclists on the cycle leg (as you usually would in most forms of bike racing). The idea is that triathlon is an individual time-trial event. There are some events that are draft-legal, such as ITU events and races at the Olympic Games - as well as the odd event such as the Contact Tri I did in Takapuna a month ago. In draft-legal races, different rules exist around the bikes you're allowed to use - basically your bike should be a road bike, as opposed to the bikes used in non-drafting tris which are basically time-trial bikes (which are way more awesome).

So anyway, interestingly I don't seem to be able to find any rules or links to rules on the website for the People's Triathlon Series, but as they're listed on the Tri NZ website I would assume they're operating under the Triathlon NZ rules which state that the event should be non-drafting. However, having done two races of the three so-far for this series, and having watched the other, I can say that drafting is rife in this series. The first event I did, I joined in the drafting since everyone was doing it, but this time I decided to take a stand and that I would have no part of it. The annoying thing though, was that I was probably the only one. The result was that when I came up to overtake someone (I had a great bike leg and did a lot of overtaking), they would simply tuck in behind me and stay there for as long as they could, conserving energy and being towed along faster than they were capable of riding. I was a bit bothered that I was working reasonably hard riding along at ~35km/h at the front while a gang of slackers sucked my wheel for the majority of the 10km return leg of the ride. I think I lost them all on the run though.

What was more annoying, was some people would sit behind for a while - having a bit of a rest, then put on a bit of a burst, get in front of me for a short while until I overtook them again and then the cycle would repeat. In a properly-regulated race, the cyclist being overtaken has 5 seconds to drop back outside the imaginary drafting envelope, which extends 7m behind the front wheel of the lead bike. In this situation it is much more difficult for the rider who has been overtaken to re-take their position, unless they really are capable of riding faster than the person in front (or are willing to ruin themselves on the ride and have a terrible run). This rule is a joke if only one of the parties is following it, however.

I think the problem comes down to the culture within the competitors in general. Marshals can (and should) penalise people for breaking the rules, but if the rule breaking is sufficiently rampant then it becomes difficult to police; really you need the competitors to know the rules, to want to follow them (in my opinion it makes for fairer racing), and then hopefully the situation will police itself: if there was one person hanging off my wheel and everyone else was obeying the rules I would happily tell them what I thought of their parasitic attachment to my slipstream.

I suspect the problem comes down to the boom in the popularity of triathlon - there are a lot more people involved who have probably never familiarised themselves with the rules, and possibly not a sufficiently strong/influential community to spread the word and pressurise the masses into obedience. While I'm part of the new crowd, I always like to think of myself as the exception to the rule and usually spend a lot of time educating myself about whatever my latest obsession is.

Just to get a feel for how common this is, I put a poll up on the Beginner Triathlete forum - of the 12 responses at the time of writing, 8 have said they often see illegal drafting in triathlons and it often goes unpunished, 2 have said they occasionally see it but it's usually punished, and 2 people's cats have breath that smells like cat food (everyone loves Ralph).

I want to try and include a photo or two into each post I make, so here's a couple of pics from today, linked from the official event's website that help to illustrate my point (I'm actually reasonably sure the two in the first picture heading the other way were part of the group who followed me home today)

No comments:

Post a Comment