Monday, 11 April 2011

Music!

I completely overlooked this in my introductory posts, but I've been reminded of its absence by a couple of recent posts on the Beginner Triathlete forums. Music features very heavily in my life, unfortunately not by participation in its creation - I've tried to pick up a few instruments in the past and had little success, I lack the creativity to really conceive music, and my singing is just straight up terrible. But I do love listening to music - a reasonably broad selection but it's largely centered around rock and neighbouring genres (although I will admit I'm currently listening to dubstep mixes on youtube)

Music played quite a big part in getting me to where I am with my athletic endeavours - the reason I did my first half marathon was because I'd flown to Melbourne to see a band I'm very fond of (Alexisonfire), and my Melbournian friend I was going with was doing the half while I was there. Having great music plugged into my ears helped get me through a lot of the more difficult runs I was doing before I had found the joy of running.

So anyway, what I thought I might do is include a Song of the Day at the bottom of each of my posts. I will aim to bring something that the majority of readers will have never heard before - hopefully someone will find something new they like (it's always such a nice surprise when you hear a new band that you like).

I'm a bit torn between a few songs I've recently been enjoying, but I think I'll start off with the one that I think will have the widest appeal. The band is called The Thomas Oliver Band. They're a modern blues group from Wellington, New Zealand. I caught them at a gig around the middle of last year and was very impressed - I love their sound. The song is called Baby, I'll Play and it's off their recently released album of the same name. Enjoy!

 Oh and a final note, tonight I registered for the adidas Auckland Marathon in October. I'm looking forward to the challenge, and as usual I'll be looking to set a decent time, rather than simply aiming to complete it

No comments:

Post a Comment